See full listing here
Omer G. Voss Distinguished Professor of Leadership Studies/Director of Civic Learning and Engagement, Department of Leadership Studies
Position Description: This dual title reflects a dual responsibility. First, .5 FTE of the position will be assigned to teach 6 hours per semester (fall and spring) and 3 hours in the summer in the Department of Leadership Studies. Second, the remaining .5 FTE will be assigned to the administrative task of implementing the University-wide civic learning and engagement activities. This tenure track position is a 12 month assignment (30% teaching; 10% research; 10% service; 50% administrative service).
Minimum Qualifications: A terminal degree from a regionally-accredited institution in leadership, communication, industrial/organizational psychology, political science, or a closely related field. (provided by HR for non-academic positions)
- Individuals with experience in the fields of leadership studies and civic learning and engagement.
- Experience in developing/teaching both face-to-face and online courses.
- Experience serving in a university administrative role responsible for budget oversight and hiring, training, and evaluation of graduate assistant and/or undergraduate student labor.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Commitment to continuous quality improvement.
- Experience with development and assessment of programs.
Appointment Date: July 1, 2019
Application Deadline: Priority deadline Monday, January 14th.
(this can be an actual deadline or a priority deadline. If the ad contains an actual deadline, the ad will come down immediately after the deadline. Ads with a priority deadline will remain advertised until the position is filled or until the search committee contacts the Recruiter to take the ad down)
Salary: Competitive salary based on experience.
Benefits: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
A. Voss Distinguished Professor of Leadership Studies
This .5 FTE of the position will report to the Chair of the Department of Leadership Studies.
Responsibilities include teaching upper division undergraduate leadership studies and graduate leadership studies courses. Teaching load will include courses in the civic leadership and/or civic learning and engagement area. Advising responsibilities will include undergraduate and/or graduate students.
A wide range of intellectual contributions are valued within the department (discipline-based research, applied research, pedagogical research and scholarship of engagement). Research expectations are consistent with FHSU’s focus as a teaching institution, with emphasis for this position on scholarship focused on civic learning and community engagement.
Committee and other service work at the department, college and university level is required. Service to the profession is encouraged.
B. Director of Civic Learning and Engagement
This .5 FTE of the position will be University-wide in scope and report to the Associate Provost of Academic Affairs. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee and carry out many action components of the University’s Strategic Goal 5: Community and Global Engagement. This new position is listed under the 2014 Civic Investment Plan and most of the responsibilities include implementing this comprehensive plan. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Encourage collaboration and partnerships between the various academic and co-curricular programming that promote civic learning and engagement.
- Engage in the transition of the Center for Civic Leadership into the Center for Student Success.
- Lead an effort to develop a comprehensive civic learning and engagement model to be adopted by University entities.
- Assist departments in creating and/or expanding their efforts to engage students in civic learning and engagement efforts.
- Improve the cohesiveness of the University’s efforts in civic learning and engagement by working with committees and other entities involved in this work.
- Assist faculty, staff, and students in their development as “engaged scholars” across all academic and co-curricular departments and units.
- Serve on the university General Education Committee and assist with the implementation, communication, and assessment of civic learning and engagement courses approved for general education.
- Encourage and nurture partnerships with our external constituents as we expand our community engagement.
- Enhance our service-learning offerings across the curriculum in all three modalities.
- Promote a campus framework, structure, and culture that models civic engagement and educates for full citizenship.
- Work directly with the Center for Student Involvement/Engagement to collaborate on student co-curricular programming around community and global engagement.
- Coordinate the University-wide assessment plan of civic learning and engagement efforts.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Dr. Brent Goertzen, Search Committee Chair